Inspired Beauty News
July 2014 – We’re Wild About Berries!
We’re celebrating National Berry Month because not only are berries bursting with antioxidants and delicious to eat, they also happen to be nature’s secret weapon against premature aging. Andalou Naturals BioActive 8 Berry Complex provides a potent portfolio of superfruit antioxidants to combat environmental stressors, support cell turnover, increase collagen and elastin, and strengthen dermal immunity.
- Acai berry (euterpe olerace): Certified Organic. Derived from the purple-black berries; replenishes, regulates, nourishes and revitalizes the skin.
- Aronia berry (aronia melanocarpa): Certified Organic. Derived from the berry native to eastern North America; anti- inflammatory and astringent properties to clean, firm and refine skin.
- Bearberry (arctostaphylos uva-ursi): Certified Organic. Derived from the arctic berry; boosts immunity while brightening skin and evening skin pigmentation.
- Bilberry (vaccinium myrtillus): Certified Organic. Derived from a wild, blue-black cousin of the blueberry; extremely rich in antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties to heal and rejuvenate the skin.
- Black elderberry (sambucus nigra): Certified Organic. Derived from the dark purple-black berries native to subtropical Europe; powerful antioxidant properties, high levels of flavonoids and polyphenols, to repair and fortify the skin and hair.
- Goji berry (lyceum barbarum): Certified Organic. Derived from the red Goji berry; soothing and hydrating properties to speed recovery to damaged skin caused by environmental factors.
- Rosehips berry (rosa canina): Certified Organic. Derived from wild rose berries; reverse the signs of aging and helps restore skin cell regeneration to refine skin texture.
- Sea buckthorn berry (hippophae rhamnoides): Certified Organic. Derived from the berry; supports cell vitality by cleansing and exfoliating skin’s surface and pores.
For mouth-watering results, try our BioActive 8 Berry Fruit Enzyme Mask. With Fruit Stem Cells, BioActive Berry 8 Complex, and Resveratrol Q10, this potent portfolio of antioxidants is proven to slow cellular damage and stimulate skin firming collagen and elastin, as fruit juice enzymes gently dissolve dull, dry surface cells to reveal skin’s vitality and ageless beauty.
“The merry year is born, like the bright berry from the naked thorn.”
~ Hartley Coleridge
July 2014 – Too Much Sun, Aloe To The Rescue!
Aloe Vera, a desert succulent with thick, juicy leaves that retains moisture for long term survival in hostile climates, is widely recognized as the botanical ‘miracle’. Rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, and proteins, Aloe Vera is one of the most universally healing and hydrating plants for all skin types.
Modern science confirms the traditional wisdom of Aloe Vera - how unique polysaccharides help regulate hydration levels in the skin by balancing skin sebum, which regulates skin’s own moisture. This means instead of simply benefitting skin with outside moisture, it ‘teaches’ the skin to produce and balance its own hydration. These polysaccharides create an essential moisture barrier and effectively bind growth factors to speed the healing process for optimum skin health and improved immunity. In addition, a recent U.C. Davis study effectively demonstrated how Aloe Vera increases the absorption ability of essential vitamins and antioxidants.
These remarkable benefits make Aloe Vera the ideal dermal delivery ingredient for Andalou Naturals Fruit Stem Cells and Bioactive 8 Berry Complex. For summer refreshment try our cooling Aloe Mint Cooling Body Lotion and Aloe Mint Cooling Shower Gel.
Andalou Naturals uses only sustainably grown, certified organic Aloe Vera, harvested from whole leaves, maintaining the plant root stock to regenerate the next harvest.
Where is the Bee—
Where is the Blush—
Where is the Hay?
Ah, said July—
Where is the Seed—
Where is the Bud—
Where is the May—
~ Emily Dickinson
June 2014 – Acne Awareness Month
The American Academy of Dermatology (www.aad.org) identifies that acne is the most common skin disorder, affecting 40-50 million Americans, and estimates that 85% of all people experience acne at some point in their lives. Dermatologists recommend people treat acne with willow bark extract and salicylic acid and when skin clears, to continue treatment to prevent new breakouts.
Andalou Naturals Clarifying Skin Care line is specially formulated, blending advanced Fruit Stem Cell Science with willow bark extract and salicylic acid, to clear blemishes and prevent breakouts without over-drying. Perfect for skin types that are oily, over active and blemish prone – especially great for use after workouts and for men too! Your skin will look and feel hydrated, refreshed and flawless.
Willow bark extract (Salix alba): Derived from willow tree bark; astringent, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties soothe skin, neutralize bacteria and promote healthy cell regeneration.
Salicylic acid (Beta Hydroxy Acid): Derived from willow bark extract; antimicrobial and antiseptic; treats bacteria that causes blemishes; a keratolytic agent, that softens and exfoliates dull surface cells to help improve the look and feel of your skin.
Benefit Spotlight: WILLOW BARK, SALICYLIC ACID, and BETA HYDROXY ACID (BHA)
Salicylic acid is a Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) derived from willow bark.
BHA’s are lipid soluble, meaning they can penetrate the dermal layers, and help dissolve excess sebum in pores.
BHA’s help increase cellular turnover rate, leading to faster skin renewal and fewer clogged pores, which is the primary cause of many skin issues.
BHA’s are often preferred by those with sensitive skin because they are gentler than Alpha Hydroxy Acid’s (AHA’s).
BHA’s combine antiseptic and antimicrobial pore-purifying with the same cell-sloughing, exfoliating results of AHA’s.
Salicylic acid is dermatologist recommended as a treatment for acne, psoriasis, keratosis pilaris and over-active skin conditions.
ALL SKIN TYPES can benefit from using a skincare routine that includes Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA’s) from Willow Bark extract and Salicylic Acid; to gently exfoliate, keep pores clear, improve cellular turnover and help diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Andalou Naturals CLARIFYING skin care routine provides an effective BHA boost for clean, clear, healthy skin and a complexion that looks and feels hydrated, refreshed, and flawless.
Get Clarifying with our gentle and effective Citrus Kombucha Cleansing Gel, Kombucha Enzyme Exfoliating Peel, Blue Geranium Creamy Clay Mask, Lemon Sugar Facial Scrub, Aloe + Willow Bark Pore Minimizer, Willow Bark Pure Pore Serum, Oil Control Beauty Balm Un-Tinted with SPF 30, Clear Overnight Recovery Cream, and for effective spot treatment try our Blemish Vanishing Gel with maximum-strength 2% salicylic acid.
“Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.”
~ Maya Angelou
June 2014 – 5 Sun Savvy Tips for Beautiful Skin
Tip #1 - Love the Shade
It’s important to limit direct sun exposure, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM, when the sun's rays are strongest. Even on an overcast day, up to 80 percent of the sun's UV rays can penetrate through cloud cover. For the best protection and comfort, it’s best to stay in the shade.
Tip #2 - Undercover Agent
Wear clothes that protect your body. If you plan on being outside on a sunny day, cover as much of your body as possible. Wear a hat. Consider using an umbrella for shade. And don’t forget to protect your eyes with quality sunglasses that offer maximum UV protection.
Tip #3 - Serious about Sunscreen
Use a sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher every day. SPF (Sun Protection Factor) estimates the time a sunscreen can protect the skin from sunburn. To protect your skin from damage caused by UVA and UVB sunlight, a ‘Broad Spectrum’ sunscreen is required. Dermatologists most often recommend a daily SPF 30 that includes UVA & UVB protection ingredients, like Zinc Oxide, to best guard against skin damage caused by sun exposure.
Tip #4 – Defend the Skin You’re In
Sun exposure is the primary cause of skin damage and premature aging caused by weakened, damaged cells, described as free radicals. To help defend your skin against damaging free-radicals and premature aging, we recommend our antioxidant-rich Daily Defense SPF 18, 1000 Roses Daily Shade SPF 18, and our BB (Beauty Balms) and CC (Color + Correct) with SPF 30. Better than ordinary facial sunscreens, Andalou Naturals facial sunscreens with Fruit Stem Cell Science act like supplements for your skin, working inside and out. If your moisturizer doesn’t have SPF, try layering it with our new DIY Booster SPF 30 Facial Serum for sheer, lightweight coverage.
Tip #5 – Renew, Repair, Regenerate!
Antioxidants are nature’s secret weapon against premature aging caused by sun damage. Antioxidants effectively neutralize free radicals by donating one of their own electrons to mend and stabilize the weakened, damaged cells. These stable antioxidant nutrients act as scavengers, helping to prevent and reverse cellular tissue damage. Fruit Stem Cell Science is a highly concentrated and effective dermal delivery for cell-saving antioxidants.
Fruit Stem Cells: Increase the longevity of skin’s own stem cells, defending against key aging factors, including UV, oxidative, and environmental stress, while regenerating at the cellular level to counteract the visible signs of aging.
BioActive 8 Berry Complex: Provides a potent portfolio of superfruit antioxidants to neutralize free radicals, support cell turnover, increase collagen and elastin, and strengthen dermal immunity.
Certified Organic Aloe Vera: Rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids and proteins, Aloe soothes inflammation, oxygenates and hydrates, while advancing the dermal delivery and absorption of essential nutrients.
“There was nothing like a Saturday - unless it was the Saturday leading up to the last week of school and into summer vacation. That of course was all the Saturdays of your life rolled into one big shiny ball.”
~ Nora Roberts
May 2014 – For an active life, it’s BB to the rescue!
Andalou Naturals is the first and only to offer BB Beauty Balms with FRUIT STEM CELL SCIENCE. Think of these beauty balms as action-packed super heroes with a unique combination of age defying fruit stem cells, superfruit antioxidants, brightening Vitamin C, mattifying oil-control, mineral-based SPF protection, and of course, moisturizers in one application. Best of all, they glide on smooth and feel comfortable all day. For an active life, its BB to the rescue!
BB Skin Perfecting Beauty Balm Natural Tint with SPF 30
The first Age Defying BB with Fruit Stem Cell Science, this multi-tasking, skin perfecting treatment blends superfruit antioxidants, botanical moisturizers, and SPF 30 protection with self-adjusting mineral-tint color for beautiful, sheer coverage.
- Complements most skin tones
- Wear alone or under make-up
- Chemical-free and nanoparticle free
- Broad spectrum protection
BB All-in-One Beauty Balm Sheer Tint with SPF 30
Our Fruit Stem Cell Complex is the star of this multi-benefit BB, blending superfruit antioxidants, nourishing moisturizers, and broad spectrum protection with natural mineral-tint color for sheer, flawless coverage in one easy step.
- Naturally sheer, mineral-tint color
- Complements most skin tones
- Wear alone or under make-up
- Chemical-free UVA/UVB protection
- Nanoparticle Free
BB Oil Control Beauty Balm Un-Tinted with SPF 30
This ultimate 3 in 1 beauty balm blends Fruit Stem Cell Complex, mattifying hydration, and broad spectrum protection to speed cellular renewal, diminish pores and excess oil, and defend against UVA/UVB photo-aging for a clear and healthy complexion.
- Un-tinted mattifying formula
- Wear alone or under make-up
- Chemical-free UVA/UVB protection
- Nanoparticle Free
“An optimist is the human personification of spring.”
- Susan J. Bissonette
May 2014 – Gluten-Free and Celiac Awareness Month
What is Celiac Disease?
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder triggered by the ingestion of gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye, causing damage to the inner surface of the small intestine and an inability to absorb certain nutrients. An estimated 1 in 141 Americans has Celiac disease, yet 83% of those who have it are either undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.
Celiac Awareness Month
This event aims to bring awareness and education to those with celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity and allergies, that by eating gluten free foods, they can eliminate their symptoms and improve their overall health. In addition, this event encourages appropriate labeling of food items, restaurant menus, and personal care products.
Andalou Naturals are verified Gluten-Free
Andalou Naturals products have been tested by the Food Allergy Research & Resource Program (FARRP) on behalf of Celiac Sprue Association (CSA) and are verified to be Gluten-Free. The CSA has evaluated Andalou Naturals base formulations, and confirmed they are gluten free, meaning they have been tested below the gluten limit of quantitation (BLQ) of 5 parts per million.
What about wheat derived ingredients in personal care?
This is an important factor for a person with Celiac disease, and also helps explain how wheat derived ingredients can be present in a formulation, and yet the finished product is verified gluten-free.
Wheat Germ Oil; the processing and refinement of wheat germ into oil, separates and dissolves the majority of gluten proteins making it essentially gluten free (per the limit of quantitation).
Vitamin E; D-alpha tocopherol is derived from highly refined vegetable oil, most often soybean oil. D-alpha tocopherol may also be derived from other oils, including wheat germ oil (see above).
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein; the ‘hydrolyzing” of wheat involves a fermentation process of the gluten (glutamic acid), where the wheat protein is naturally dissolved by enzymes making it essentially gluten free (per the limit of quantitation).
For more information and tool kits: www.csaceliacs.info, www.gluten.net, www.celiac.org, and www.celiaccentral.org.
April 2014 - Non-GMO is the new GREEN!
What is a GMO?
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) are "organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in such a way that does not occur naturally" according to the World Health Organization. This technology is also referred to as "Genetic Engineering (GE) or Genetic Modification (GM)," and consists of randomly inserting genetic fragments of DNA from one organism to another, usually from a different species.
Are GMO’s proven safe?
No. The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) doesn’t think so. The Academy reported that “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.
Before the FDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, FDA scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long-term safety studies, but were ignored.
Do GMOs harm the environment?
Yes. “GM crops and their associated herbicides can harm birds, insects, amphibians, marine ecosystems, and soil organisms. They reduce bio-diversity, pollute water resources, and are unsustainable. For example, GM crops are eliminating habitat for monarch butterflies, whose populations are down 50% in the US. Roundup herbicide has been shown to cause birth defects in amphibians, embryonic deaths and endocrine disruptions, and organ damage in animals even at very low doses. GM canola has been found growing wild in North Dakota and California, threatening to pass on its herbicide tolerant genes on to weeds,” says consumer advocate and author Jeffrey M. Smith, Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies about the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating.
To learn more about the risks of GMO’s and what you can do, visit: Institute for Responsible Technology www.responsibletechnology.org and The Non-GMO Project www.nongmoproject.org.
February 2013, Andalou Naturals became the first 100% Non-GMO Project verified beauty brand. Find a complete list of Non-GMO Project verified food, beverage, and body care products in the Non-GMO Shopping Guide at www.nongmoshoppingguide.com.
April 2014 – Earth Month – 30 Days & Ways to Make a Difference
1. Shop farmer’s markets
2. Bring your own bag, everywhere
3. Buy local and sustainable goods
4. Grow your own organic fruits and vegetables
5. Use a compost bin for food scraps
6. Reduce and recycle your cans, bottles, and paper
7. Opt out of junk mail and catalogs
8. Read online newspapers and magazines
9. Shop at thrift stores
10. Get crafty and repurpose old items
11. Swap incandescent bulbs for compact florescent lights
12. Turn off the lights and unplug chargers, when not in use
13. Adjust your thermostat – up in summer, down in winter
14. Install water saving fixtures in bath and kitchen
15. Turn off the tap to brush teeth, wash face & shave
16. Time your shower, and reuse your towel
17. Do laundry at night, after peak electricity usage hours
18. Use only biodegradable cleaning products
19. Load the Non-GMO Project app for verified product lists
20. Carry a reusable water bottle
21. Have a picnic with reusable plates, utensils, and containers
22. Celebrate Earth Day and take a hike!
23. Use a travel mug for morning coffee
24. Walk, bike, use transit, and car share, as much as possible
25. Drive a fuel efficient vehicle, gently
26. Organize your work place recycle program
27. Plant a tree, or three
28. Try Non-GMO beauty products, like Andalou Naturals
29. Buy mom a green gift for Mother’s day
30. Be an over-achiever, and set a goal of zero waste
March 2014 – 8 Tips to Minimize Hair Loss (and Maximize Healthy Growth)
1. Regular cleansing of hair and scalp with a natural, sulfate-free Age Defying Shampoo washes away toxins, dirt, dust and sebum that can block follicles and normal hair growth, without drying or stripping color.
2. Rinsing thoroughly removes residue and allows hydration of the cortex layer for added strength and flexibility of individual strands.
3. Using a natural, protein-rich Age Defying Conditioner helps moisturize and detangle, while providing a barrier against environmental pollutants, sun exposure, oxidation and static electricity that can dry, fade and weaken strands, leaving them dull and brittle.
4. Gently towel dry without twisting, using a wide tooth comb, careful not to pull or tug when hair and roots are wet and most vulnerable to breakage. Prevent additional breakage by not over brushing dry hair.
5. Avoid high heat settings on blow dryers and styling appliances, apply a styling cream or gel with protein for additional protection and styling options.
6. If hair is dry, weak or brittle, avoid chemical treatments, which can further weaken fragile strands and damage hair follicles.
7. Massaging with the scalp, using your fingertips for 10 minutes, every day improves circulation to your scalp, increasing oxygen and nutrient flow for healthy follicles. Follow with a few drops of Age Defying Scalp Intensive with Argan Stem Cells.
8. Maintain a healthy style by trimming edges and removing split-end damage that can weaken hair strands, contributing to breakage, dull strands, and hair loss. Your hair will look thicker and fuller, with more body and shine.
Ingredient Spotlight: Argan Stem Cells
Sustainably harvested from the ancient Berber tree that grows exclusively in southwestern Morocco, and prized for its vigor and longevity, Argan Fruit Stem Cells are designed to delay the depletion of dermal progenitor stem cells, by stimulating dormant root cells, and accelerating the natural repair process to combat the chronological aging of hair follicles.
Research shows hair follicles represent a highly efficient pathway and reservoir for topically applied liposomes, allowing Argan Fruit Stem Cells follicular penetration and stimulating root stem cell regeneration.
The result is significant age-defying for healthy hair growth.
3 STEP SYSTEM - Thinning Hair Treatment to Maximize Healthy Growth
Andalou Naturals Age Defying Shampoo with Argan Fruit Stem Cells
Best prepares hair and scalp, washing away toxins, debris, and excess sebum that can block follicles. Sulfate Free
Andalou Naturals Age Defying Conditioner with Argan Fruit Stem Cells
Fortified with antioxidants, effectively hydrates, nourishes, and strengthens, while providing a protective barrier from environmental exposure.
Andalou Naturals Age Defying Scalp Intensive with Argan Fruit Stem Cells
Applied directly to scalp, stimulates cell renewal, sustains healthy growth cycle, and helps protect against chronological aging.
*Andalou Naturals definition of thinning hair (a) fine, brittle strands (b) breakage and fewer strands (c) troubled scalp conditions.
“I would rather attempt something great and fail than attempt to do nothing and succeed.”
– Robert Schuller
March 2014 - Women's History Month
This month we celebrate the amazing accomplishments of women throughout history, the women whose names we recognize including, Helen Keller, Indira Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Rosa Parks, and Eleanor Roosevelt. As well as women whose names are less familiar, but whose accomplishments are great, like Maya Lin, the designer of the Vietnam Memorial Wall, Louise Arner Boyd, Artic explorer, and Jeannette Rankin, the 1st woman elected to the House of Representatives.
March is also an opportunity to celebrate all the women in your life who encourage and inspire you. Whether it’s your mother, daughter, aunt, friend, or colleague--- would you be who you are without their love and support? What if your help made the difference in a woman’s life AND what if you could help launch the next amazing business or discovery…you can!
The Women's Initiative for Self Employment is on a mission to help build the entrepreneurial capacity of high potential low-income women in the United States who dream of business ownership.
By focusing on the needs of traditionally underserved groups including minorities, immigrants, and welfare recipients, Women's Initiative brings new resources into local communities to help low-income women overcome economic and social barriers and achieve self-sufficiency.
Women's Initiative for Self Employment has proven that women create jobs for themselves and others, increase their economic self-sufficiency, and directly contribute to the economic growth of their communities when given business planning and financial support to start a business.
Andalou Naturals champions these amazing women entrepreneurs who are choosing to redefine success by supporting their family, serving their community, and building a sustainable business future.
Women's Initiative for Self Employment
1398 Valencia St.
San Francisco, CA 94110
p. (415) 641-3460
f. (415) 826-1885
February 2014 - Winter Skin Rescue
Winter weather can wreak havoc on your skin, causing dehydration, redness, and itchiness. Follow these 5 essential tips, along with Andalou Naturals bioactive skincare solutions for healthy winter skin:
1. Cleanse with care, as harsh soap, hot water, and excessive use of sonic brushes can strip the skin’s natural moisture and protective barriers leading to dryness, redness, and irritation.
Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk gently loosens impurities and make-up, nourishes and calms irritation, and stimulates cell turnover for improved dermal immunity.
2. Exfoliate and renew by removing dull, dry surface cells. Rotation of the blistery air and dry central heating creates confusion for the complexion. Exfoliation at least once per week will increase cell renewal for improved skin tone and texture.
Chia + Omega Radiant Skin Polish gently buffs and stimulates for smooth, fresh and radiant skin.
3. Hydrate and replenish depleted, thirsty skin. Cooler climates call for increased hydration and nourishment inside and out to maintain even skin tone and texture.
Fruit Stem Cell Revitalize Serum replenishes essential hydration and nutrients while repairing cellular damage for brighter, even skin tone and texture with fewer fine lines and wrinkles.
4. Moisturize and nourish to seal in hydration and protect the skin’s natural barriers. Like the body, our skin requires an extra layer to weather the elements during the winter.
Super Goji Peptide Perfecting Cream delivers collagen and elastin building actives, boosting cellular
repair and dramatically transforming for firmer, brighter, younger-looking skin.
5. Protect with sunscreen. On the go, or on the slopes, it’s important to apply sunscreen to shield from harmful UV rays. Although the air is chilly, the sun’s strength is still strong!
Oil Control Beauty Balm Un-Tinted with SPF 30 provides mattifying hydration and broad spectrum
protection to speed cellular renewal, diminish pores and defend against damaging UVA/UBA rays.
“Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.”
- Victor Hugo