Inspired Beauty News
April 2014 - Non-GMO is the new GREEN!
What is a GMO?
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) are "organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in such a way that does not occur naturally" according to the World Health Organization. This technology is also referred to as "Genetic Engineering (GE) or Genetic Modification (GM)," and consists of randomly inserting genetic fragments of DNA from one organism to another, usually from a different species.
Are GMO’s proven safe?
No. The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) doesn’t think so. The Academy reported that “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.
Before the FDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, FDA scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long-term safety studies, but were ignored.
Do GMOs harm the environment?
Yes. “GM crops and their associated herbicides can harm birds, insects, amphibians, marine ecosystems, and soil organisms. They reduce bio-diversity, pollute water resources, and are unsustainable. For example, GM crops are eliminating habitat for monarch butterflies, whose populations are down 50% in the US. Roundup herbicide has been shown to cause birth defects in amphibians, embryonic deaths and endocrine disruptions, and organ damage in animals even at very low doses. GM canola has been found growing wild in North Dakota and California, threatening to pass on its herbicide tolerant genes on to weeds,” says consumer advocate and author Jeffrey M. Smith, Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies about the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating.
To learn more about the risks of GMO’s and what you can do, visit: Institute for Responsible Technology www.responsibletechnology.org and The Non-GMO Project www.nongmoproject.org.
February 2013, Andalou Naturals became the first 100% Non-GMO Project verified beauty brand. Find a complete list of Non-GMO Project verified food, beverage, and body care products in the Non-GMO Shopping Guide at www.nongmoshoppingguide.com.
April 2014 – Earth Month – 30 Days & Ways to Make a Difference
1. Shop farmer’s markets
2. Bring your own bag, everywhere
3. Buy local and sustainable goods
4. Grow your own organic fruits and vegetables
5. Use a compost bin for food scraps
6. Reduce and recycle your cans, bottles, and paper
7. Opt out of junk mail and catalogs
8. Read online newspapers and magazines
9. Shop at thrift stores
10. Get crafty and repurpose old items
11. Swap incandescent bulbs for compact florescent lights
12. Turn off the lights and unplug chargers, when not in use
13. Adjust your thermostat – up in summer, down in winter
14. Install water saving fixtures in bath and kitchen
15. Turn off the tap to brush teeth, wash face & shave
16. Time your shower, and reuse your towel
17. Do laundry at night, after peak electricity usage hours
18. Use only biodegradable cleaning products
19. Load the Non-GMO Project app for verified product lists
20. Carry a reusable water bottle
21. Have a picnic with reusable plates, utensils, and containers
22. Celebrate Earth Day and take a hike!
23. Use a travel mug for morning coffee
24. Walk, bike, use transit, and car share, as much as possible
25. Drive a fuel efficient vehicle, gently
26. Organize your work place recycle program
27. Plant a tree, or three
28. Try Non-GMO beauty products, like Andalou Naturals
29. Buy mom a green gift for Mother’s day
30. Be an over-achiever, and set a goal of zero waste
March 2014 – 8 Tips to Minimize Hair Loss (and Maximize Healthy Growth)
1. Regular cleansing of hair and scalp with a natural, sulfate-free Age Defying Shampoo washes away toxins, dirt, dust and sebum that can block follicles and normal hair growth, without drying or stripping color.
2. Rinsing thoroughly removes residue and allows hydration of the cortex layer for added strength and flexibility of individual strands.
3. Using a natural, protein-rich Age Defying Conditioner helps moisturize and detangle, while providing a barrier against environmental pollutants, sun exposure, oxidation and static electricity that can dry, fade and weaken strands, leaving them dull and brittle.
4. Gently towel dry without twisting, using a wide tooth comb, careful not to pull or tug when hair and roots are wet and most vulnerable to breakage. Prevent additional breakage by not over brushing dry hair.
5. Avoid high heat settings on blow dryers and styling appliances, apply a styling cream or gel with protein for additional protection and styling options.
6. If hair is dry, weak or brittle, avoid chemical treatments, which can further weaken fragile strands and damage hair follicles.
7. Massaging with the scalp, using your fingertips for 10 minutes, every day improves circulation to your scalp, increasing oxygen and nutrient flow for healthy follicles. Follow with a few drops of Age Defying Scalp Intensive with Argan Stem Cells.
8. Maintain a healthy style by trimming edges and removing split-end damage that can weaken hair strands, contributing to breakage, dull strands, and hair loss. Your hair will look thicker and fuller, with more body and shine.
Ingredient Spotlight: Argan Stem Cells
Sustainably harvested from the ancient Berber tree that grows exclusively in southwestern Morocco, and prized for its vigor and longevity, Argan Fruit Stem Cells are designed to delay the depletion of dermal progenitor stem cells, by stimulating dormant root cells, and accelerating the natural repair process to combat the chronological aging of hair follicles.
Research shows hair follicles represent a highly efficient pathway and reservoir for topically applied liposomes, allowing Argan Fruit Stem Cells follicular penetration and stimulating root stem cell regeneration.
The result is significant age-defying for healthy hair growth.
3 STEP SYSTEM - Thinning Hair Treatment to Maximize Healthy Growth
Andalou Naturals Age Defying Shampoo with Argan Fruit Stem Cells
Best prepares hair and scalp, washing away toxins, debris, and excess sebum that can block follicles. Sulfate Free
Andalou Naturals Age Defying Conditioner with Argan Fruit Stem Cells
Fortified with antioxidants, effectively hydrates, nourishes, and strengthens, while providing a protective barrier from environmental exposure.
Andalou Naturals Age Defying Scalp Intensive with Argan Fruit Stem Cells
Applied directly to scalp, stimulates cell renewal, sustains healthy growth cycle, and helps protect against chronological aging.
*Andalou Naturals definition of thinning hair (a) fine, brittle strands (b) breakage and fewer strands (c) troubled scalp conditions.
“I would rather attempt something great and fail than attempt to do nothing and succeed.”
– Robert Schuller
March 2014 - Women's History Month
This month we celebrate the amazing accomplishments of women throughout history, the women whose names we recognize including, Helen Keller, Indira Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Rosa Parks, and Eleanor Roosevelt. As well as women whose names are less familiar, but whose accomplishments are great, like Maya Lin, the designer of the Vietnam Memorial Wall, Louise Arner Boyd, Artic explorer, and Jeannette Rankin, the 1st woman elected to the House of Representatives.
March is also an opportunity to celebrate all the women in your life who encourage and inspire you. Whether it’s your mother, daughter, aunt, friend, or colleague--- would you be who you are without their love and support? What if your help made the difference in a woman’s life AND what if you could help launch the next amazing business or discovery…you can!
The Women's Initiative for Self Employment is on a mission to help build the entrepreneurial capacity of high potential low-income women in the United States who dream of business ownership.
By focusing on the needs of traditionally underserved groups including minorities, immigrants, and welfare recipients, Women's Initiative brings new resources into local communities to help low-income women overcome economic and social barriers and achieve self-sufficiency.
Women's Initiative for Self Employment has proven that women create jobs for themselves and others, increase their economic self-sufficiency, and directly contribute to the economic growth of their communities when given business planning and financial support to start a business.
Andalou Naturals champions these amazing women entrepreneurs who are choosing to redefine success by supporting their family, serving their community, and building a sustainable business future.
Women's Initiative for Self Employment
1398 Valencia St.
San Francisco, CA 94110
p. (415) 641-3460
f. (415) 826-1885
February 2014 - Winter Skin Rescue
Winter weather can wreak havoc on your skin, causing dehydration, redness, and itchiness. Follow these 5 essential tips, along with Andalou Naturals bioactive skincare solutions for healthy winter skin:
1. Cleanse with care, as harsh soap, hot water, and excessive use of sonic brushes can strip the skin’s natural moisture and protective barriers leading to dryness, redness, and irritation.
Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk gently loosens impurities and make-up, nourishes and calms irritation, and stimulates cell turnover for improved dermal immunity.
2. Exfoliate and renew by removing dull, dry surface cells. Rotation of the blistery air and dry central heating creates confusion for the complexion. Exfoliation at least once per week will increase cell renewal for improved skin tone and texture.
Chia + Omega Radiant Skin Polish gently buffs and stimulates for smooth, fresh and radiant skin.
3. Hydrate and replenish depleted, thirsty skin. Cooler climates call for increased hydration and nourishment inside and out to maintain even skin tone and texture.
Fruit Stem Cell Revitalize Serum replenishes essential hydration and nutrients while repairing cellular damage for brighter, even skin tone and texture with fewer fine lines and wrinkles.
4. Moisturize and nourish to seal in hydration and protect the skin’s natural barriers. Like the body, our skin requires an extra layer to weather the elements during the winter.
Super Goji Peptide Perfecting Cream delivers collagen and elastin building actives, boosting cellular
repair and dramatically transforming for firmer, brighter, younger-looking skin.
5. Protect with sunscreen. On the go, or on the slopes, it’s important to apply sunscreen to shield from harmful UV rays. Although the air is chilly, the sun’s strength is still strong!
Oil Control Beauty Balm Un-Tinted with SPF 30 provides mattifying hydration and broad spectrum
protection to speed cellular renewal, diminish pores and defend against damaging UVA/UBA rays.
“Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.”
- Victor Hugo
February 2014 – A Luminous Complex with Vitamin C (Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate)
Did you know 90% of visible skin aging is due to sun and environmental exposure?
Sun and environmental exposure can result in the development of fine lines and wrinkles, discoloration and textural changes, due to the formation of skin damaging cells called free-radicals.
The best protection against sun and environmental exposure includes avoidance, wearing protective clothing, and using full-spectrum sunscreen every day.
Can applying topical Vitamin C skin care help defend against free radicals?
Yes! When applied, topical Vitamin C skin care can dramatically improve surface pigmentation and texture, uneven tone, and dark spots caused by sun damage and over-stimulation of melanin.
How does topical Vitamin C skin care work?
By invigorating dermal circulation and cell turnover, topical Vitamin C skin care helps boost collagen and elastin to strengthen the skin’s matrix, and fortify skin’s immunity to defend against the free-radicals that can age skin prematurely.
Does the form of topical Vitamin C matter?
Yes! Perfect for sensitive skin, Andalou Naturals is formulated with the highest potency of topical Vitamin C, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate. This unique, stabilized form of Vitamin C provides dermal delivery levels of over 20%, as it acts with skin’s own natural enzymes, converting to maximum efficacy and providing continuous benefits days after initial application.
Andalou Naturals ‘Brightening’ Skin Care with Fruit Stem Cell Science + Vitamin C
Reveal your natural glow with powerful brighteners that illuminate a healthy complexion. Vitamin C dramatically improves surface pigmentation, uneven tone, and dark spots caused by sun damage and over-stimulation of melanin. Additionally, it invigorates dermal circulation and cell turnover, boosts collagen and elastin, and fortifies skin’s immunity to defend against free-radicals that can age skin prematurely.
Stimulates healthy circulation
Improves even tone and texture
Skin looks brighter and tighter
For Normal and Combination skin types, our Brightening solutions target these skin concerns
• Uneven Tone
• Sun Damage
• Dry Cheeks
• T-zone Shine
The Results: Even Tone and Youthful Luminosity
“The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it.”
~ Richard Bach
January 2014 – Age Defying… Really?
Yes! Andalou Naturals Fruit Stem Cell Science is real Age Defying innovation.
Clinically proven results in just 6 weeks!
100% experienced improved hydration*
87% showed more radiance and luminosity*
88% reported improved tone and texture*
62% confirmed fewer fine lines and wrinkles*
50% reduction in length and depth of facial lines*
87% witnessed improved elasticity of the skin*
0% experienced skin irritation*
Clinical results CONFIRMED brighter, younger-looking skin, while continuing treatment significantly improved the visible signs of aging.
*Based on six week independent clinical evaluation of Andalou Naturals Age Defying skin care regime, following FDA regulation guidelines for dermatological clinical testing and post treatment perception analysis, conducted by a Ph.D. Principal Investigator. Individual results may vary.
January 2014 - New Year, New Routine, New You!
Beautiful, healthy skin begins with a care routine designed for your specific skin type.
When you wake up your skin looks and feels:
A. Tight, flakey and pink
B. Dull, little change or slightly shiny around nose
C. Shiny, especially nose, chin and forehead
The pores on your face appear:
A. Invisible and barely noticeable
B. Small, visible pores on nose
C. Larger pores on nose and cheeks
Thirty minutes after washing your face it looks and feels:
A. Very tight, dehydrated, and sensitive
B. Comfortable, yet lacks healthy glow
C. Shiny, starting around the nose, forehead, chin
By midday your skin looks and feels:
A. Dry, uncomfortable, dull, and flakey
B. Lackluster, some T-zone shine, slightly dry cheeks
C. Shiny all-over, congested, more visible pores
Your primary skin care concerns are:
A. Fine lines, wrinkles, and premature aging
B. Dull complexion, uneven skin tone and sun damage
C. Overproduction of oil, clogged pores, and breakouts
If you answered:
Mostly ‘A’ Andalou recommends Age Defying skin care for Dry, Very Dry, & Sensitive skin types.
Mostly ‘B’ Andalou recommends Brightening skin care for Normal & Combination skin types.
Mostly ‘C’ Andalou recommends Clarifying skin care for Active, Over-active, & Oily skin types.
Andalou Naturals Age Defying, Brightening, and Clarifying routines are formulated with Fruit Stem Cell Science for healthy, younger-looking skin.
“Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one.”
~ Brad Paisley
December 2013 – Glow This Holiday Season
Don’t let winter weather dim your appearance. Say goodbye to dull, dry, flaky skin this holiday season and give your complexion a beautiful, healthy glow with Andalou Naturals’ Argan + Omega Natural Glow 3 in 1 Treatment.
This deeply nourishing multi-tasker with Fruit Stem Cell Science® and organic Argan oil, rich in omega 3-6-9 fatty acids, provides a potent portfolio of antioxidants to slow cellular damage and accelerate healthy cell renewal for amazing brightening results.
Ready, Set, Glow!
- Apply a few drops of oil on the face and neck for a healthy, natural looking glow
- Rub the treatment between hands and smooth through your hair to condition
- Apply to hands, nails and cuticles for nourishing results
This holiday season beautiful skin is the easiest gift on your list with Andalou Naturals’ Argan + Omega Natural Glow 3 in 1 Treatment.
Joy from our family to yours!
“When you wish someone joy, you wish them peace, love, prosperity, happiness... all the good things.”
~ Maya Angelou
December 2013 – Healthy Skin: The Gift That Keeps On Giving
Andalou Naturals’ Get Started Kits are dressed to impress this season with ‘Nice and Gifty’ holiday bands. Check off every name on your holiday gift list with a complete routine of 5 skin care essentials, specially formulated for Age Defying, Brightening, and Clarifying. Thoughtful and affordable, each kit retails for only $19.99 (a $30 value). Who knows, you might even want to gift one for yourself. This year give the gift that keeps on giving – healthy skin and a beautiful complexion!
For Dry/Sensitive Skin,
You’ll give them: Andalou Naturals Get Started Age Defying Kit containing:
- .8oz Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk
- .5oz BioActive 8 Berry Fruit Enzyme Mask
- 1oz Blossom + Leaf Toning Refresher
- .4oz Super Goji Peptide Perfecting Cream
- .4oz Resveratrol Q10 Night Repair Cream
They’ll thank you for: even skin tone and texture, enhanced collagen and elastin production, fewer fine lines and wrinkles, healthy cell longevity, restored luminosity, and youthful vitality.
For Normal/Combination Skin,
You’ll give them: Andalou Naturals Get Started Brightening Kit containing:
- .8oz Meyer Lemon Creamy Cleanser
- .5oz Pumpkin Honey Glycolic Mask
- 1oz Clementine + C Illuminating Toner
- .4oz Probiotic + C Renewal Cream
- .4oz Purple Carrot + C Luminous Night Cream
They’ll thank you for: brightened and tightened skin, suppressed sun damage, smoothed fine lines and wrinkles, and healthy cell turnover for a radiant, luminous appearance.
For Active/Oily Skin,
You’ll give them: Andalou Naturals Get Started Clarifying Kit containing:
- .8oz Citrus Kombucha Cleansing Gel
- .5oz Kombucha Enzyme Exfoliating Peel
- 1oz Aloe + Willow Bark Pore Minimizer
- .4oz Acai + White Tea Oil-Free Moisturizer
- .4oz Clear Overnight Recovery Cream
They’ll thank you for: calm, balanced and hydrated skin, clean and clear pores, soothed irritation and inflammation for a fresh, healthy complexion.
Happy gifting from all of us at Andalou Naturals!
"The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it.”
~ Richard Bach