5 Tips for Self-Care
When life gets busy, it’s easy to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders and forget to take time for yourself. However, it’s in these moments that it’s most important to stop, breathe, be present, and take care of yourself first. One of the best ways you can do this is by engaging in self-care practices.
What is and isn’t self-care?
Self-care is a form of self-love, which is an integral part of your overall health and wellness. It involves adopting a mindset that makes your physical and mental health a priority. Self-care isn’t selfish – not one bit at all. In fact, it’s completely necessary for a happier mind and body. Additionally, it’s difficult to take care of the ones you love most when you’re running on empty because you haven’t taken time for yourself.
Why is self-care important?
Not only does self-care reduce your stress levels and negative emotions, it boosts your self-esteem and increases positive thoughts and feelings which are beneficial for your mental health. Nurturing yourself regularly serves as a reminder of just how deserving you are of love and care. Your level of happiness will also benefit as a result! By taking just five minutes each day, you can make a huge impact on your life in small, simple ways.
Try these five self-care tips…
1. Quick morning meditation – Meditating helps to reduce stress, reduce blood pressure, boost your mood, and reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety. All you need is five minutes in the morning to kick-start your day with a positive mindset.
2. Take a new yoga class – Whether you’re experienced or new to the practice, there are plenty of studios that offer beginner, intermediate and advanced classes. Increase your flexibility, muscle strength and tone while also improving your energy and vitality for increased mental focus.
3. Schedule time for yourself – Be sure to make blocks in your calendar for yourself. Whether that’s getting a pedicure or going on a pretty walk during your lunch hour, be sure to pencil yourself in and show up just like you would an important meeting. You deserve your love and attention just as much as anyone else does.
4. Keep a journal – Writing is extremely therapeutic and can be very beneficial for your mental clarity and health. Whether you enjoy writing down thoughts, feelings, dreams, or simply taking a moment of gratitude – you will feel rejuvenated and uplifted afterward.
5. Take time to decompress everyday – It’s important to take time at the end of each day to unplug from electronics and disconnect from the outer world. Whether that’s deep breathing or doing absolutely nothing, let go of whatever doesn’t serve you and let your mind and body unwind.
Image by Lauren Nolan | @lakeshorelady | lakeshorelady.com