How Early Should You Start A Preventative Age Defying Skin Care Routine?
According to experts, skin starts aging at around 20 years old, when the skin begins to lose collagen. That’s why some experts recommend incorporating anti-aging products into your daily routine as early as your 20s as a preventative step to delay the onset of fine lines and wrinkles. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure—it’s a lot harder to reverse signs of aging than it is to prevent premature aging through taking care of your skin.
Of course, it’s important to remind yourself that aging is natural and should be celebrated for what it is: proof of life! That said, there’s nothing wrong with taking preventative steps to prolong your youth. Take care of your skin and a healthy, youthful complexion will follow.
Here’s what you can do to prevent signs of premature aging, target wrinkles before they appear, and prevent fine lines from getting deep.
- Wear your sunscreen to protect against premature aging caused by sun damage
- Sun exposure is the number one cause of skin aging, according to experts. That’s why a broad-spectrum facial SPF that protects against both UVA and UVB rays is essential to preventing aging caused by sun damage.
- Support your skin barrier
- Your skin barrier is a protective layer that keeps skin healthy by protecting it against harmful environmental stressors. As we age, our skin barrier becomes weaker, meaning it is less able to defend itself and withstand any harmful microbes, chemicals, and allergens. Healthy, soothed skin lacks the external stressors that can break down collagen and propel it to age faster, so focus on using gentle, soothing products that won’t damage that skin barrier.
- Bakuchiol stimulates collagen production
- Your skin starts losing collagen at a rate of 1% every year after you turn twenty, according to experts. As your skin starts to generate less collagen, it’s important to stimulate that collagen production, which is why dermatologists often prescribe retinol to prevent signs of aging. Instead, try bakuchiol, a natural, plant-based retinol alternative with studies to show that it performs as effectively as retinol, but without any of the unwanted side effects and sensitivities.
- Stay hydrated
- Dehydrated skin makes it more prone to decreased elasticity and the formation of fine lines. Promote hydrated skin not only through water intake, but also by using hydrating creams and moisturizers featuring ingredients like hyaluronic acid, collagen, or ceramides to lock in moisture in the skin.
- Antioxidants help prevent oxidative damage
- Through their ability to fight free radicals, antioxidants are powerful weapons to preventing cellular aging. Look for skincare with vitamin C, which has been shown to be an extremely effective antioxidant, working to both treat and prevent skin aging by protecting it from oxidative damage.
- Kill unhealthy vices
- Finally, one of the best ways to prevent signs of aging is through healthy lifestyle habits. Frequent sun exposure, alcohol consumption, and smoking can all promote premature skin aging and wrinkles. On the other hand, eating a healthy, balanced diet, exercising, and getting enough sleep are all essential for slowing down premature skin aging.
Whether you want to prevent or correct, check out Andalou’s natural Age Defying skincare to help fight signs of aging at every age.